About the inquiry
The OHRC is inquiring into the practices and activities of the TPS between January 1, 2010 and June 30, 2017, to assess whether they are consistent with racial profiling and racial discrimination against the Black community, including in the areas of:
- Stop and questioning practices
- Use of force
- Arrests and charges, and forms and conditions of release for various offence categories, including:
- simple drug possession
- obstructing or assaulting a police officer
- causing a disturbance
- failing to comply with a bail condition (see Terms of Reference for complete list).
The OHRC is also examining the TPS and TPSB’s culture, training, policies, procedures and accountability mechanisms relating to racial profiling and racial discrimination.
The OHRC is conducting research, retaining experts, consulting with key stakeholders, and receiving information from affected individuals, interested groups and organizations.
To participate, contact email@example.com or 416-314-4522.
- Letter to the Toronto Police Association Board of Directors re: Inquiry into racial profiling and discrimination of Black persons by the Toronto Police Service (2018)
- Deputation to the Toronto Police Services Board regarding the Toronto Police Services Board’s Anti-Racism Advisory Panel (2018)
- Press Release: OHRC interim report on Toronto Police Service inquiry shows disturbing results (2018)
- Press Release: OHRC launches public interest inquiry into racial profiling and racial discrimination by the Toronto Police Service (2017)
- Video: Launch of A Collective Impact interim report - Press conference (2018)
- Video: OHRC inquiry announcement - Press conference (2017)
- Statement: A collective impact: Remarks by Chief Commissioner Renu Mandhane (2018)
- Statement: Truth before trust: Remarks by Chief Commissioner Renu Mandhane (2017)
- Statements: HairStory Youth Advisor statements (2017)
- Statement: A.B.L.E. statement of support (2017)
- Notice of collection of personal information
- Protection of personal information and privacy safeguards policy
OHRC Inquiry Announcement https://t.co/p1LGnmlfT8
— The OHRC (@OntHumanRights) November 30, 2017